What is asset protection insurance?
Asset protection insurance (API), sometimes called value protect insurance (VPI) is a product designed to provide you with protection if your vehicle is deemed a total loss by your comprehensive motor vehicle insurer. The product will pay the greater of the following:
- The loan settlement amount due to your financier less the total loss payment; and
- The replacement vehicle value less the total loss payment. This is the amount paid towards your replacement vehicle. When you apply for this product, they will agree to the replacement vehicle value. It cannot be more than the value of your vehicle at the effective date of the policy, up to the maximum sum insured, as shown on the policy schedule.
Should you get it?
Essentially, you’re protecting yourself against the potential shortfall that may occur between the purchase price of your vehicle and your comprehensive motor vehicle insurance payout if your vehicle is declared a total insurance loss ("written off"). This means you’ll be able to afford a replacement car similar to what you were driving, rather than potentially needing to downgrade after an accident.
What are the benefits?
- Extra cover for out-of-pocket expenses
- 5 year fixed term (policy does not end when loan is paid out)
- Can be paid monthly
- Different levels of cover, designed to suit your needs
- If your insurance gives you a new vehicle instead of a payout you can transfer this policy to your new vehicle or ask for a refund.
If you want to find out if you’re eligible or you have any additional questions, contact a dedicated Stratton consultant today.
Looking for more information?
We've made it easy for you to find everything you need here.
EXCEPTIONAL, as good as Customer Service gets
Can't Recommend Highly Enough!!
Meet our partners
Get access to an unmatched panel of finance and insurance partners all in one place, instantly.
Let's get started
Obligation free and no impact to credit score