What is a personal loan?
A Personal Loan is a personal finance product where the financier lends the customer funds which can be used to purchase a car, but does not hold any security over the loan. Personal Loan can also be known as an Unsecured Car Loan.
How does a personal loan work?
Under a Personal Loan the financier advances funds to the customer, which the customer can use to purchase a car. The customer takes ownership of the vehicle at the time of purchase, and must repay the loan to the financier over the agreed terms. The financier does not hold the vehicle as security for the loan.
- Flexible contract terms ranging from 12 to 84 months (one to seven years)
- Fixed or variable interest rates
- Deposit (either cash or trade-in) may be used
- A tax deduction may be available when the vehicle is used for business purposes
* Please refer to your accountant for eligibility.
Common questions about your car loan
What is a personal loan and how does it work?
A personal loan (also known as an unsecured car loan) involves a finance company lending you the money to purchase a vehicle for personal use. Although you’ll make regular loan and interest repayments over a period agreed with your finance company, you will own the vehicle from the time of purchase, due to the fact that the loan is not secured against the vehicle.
What are the benefits of a personal loan?
- Flexible loan repayment periods, ranging from two to 10 years
- The option to reduce monthly repayments by setting a final balance (Residual Value) payment
- Simple approval criteria
- The option to put down either a lump sum or your current vehicle as a deposit to reduce the amount borrowed
- The potential to claim tax deductions if the car is being used for business purposes
What tax and GST can I expect to pay on a personal loan?
A personal loan is classed as a personal finance product, however, it may still be possible to claim a tax deduction on your payments, depending on how frequently you use your vehicle for business purposes. For more information about claiming vehicle-related tax deductions, please visit the ATO website.
Who should choose a personal loan?
Looking for more information?
We've made it easy for you to find everything you need here.
EXCEPTIONAL, as good as Customer Service gets
Can't Recommend Highly Enough!!
Meet our network partners
As part of the Carsales network, we have an exclusive panel of specialist lenders and industry partners that will protect and treat you right every step of the way.
Ready to get started?
Get an instant quote or apply now online.