What is a secured car loan?
A Secured Car Loan is a personal finance product where the financier lends the customer funds for the purchase of a vehicle, and secures the loan against that vehicle. It can also be known as a Consumer Loan or a Car Loan.
How does a secured car loan work?
Under a Car Loan the financier advances funds to the customer to purchase a car. The customer takes ownership of the vehicle at the time of purchase, and the financier takes an interest in the vehicle as security for the loan. Once the contract is completed, the financier lifts their interest in the vehicle, giving the customer clear title.
- Flexible contract terms ranging from 12 to 120 months (one to ten years)
- A balloon value can be applied to the contract enabling the monthly repayments to be tailored to a budget
- Choice of fixed or variable interest rates
- A tax deduction may be available when the vehicle is used for business purposes*
- The loan is secured against the vehicle, allowing lower interest rates
* Please refer to your accountant for eligibility.
Common questions about your car loan
What is a car loan and how does it work?
A car loan (also referred to as a secured car loan) involves a finance company lending you the money to purchase a vehicle for personal use. The loan is secured against the vehicle and, when the final repayment has been made, you will own the vehicle outright.
What are the benefits of a car loan?
- Flexible loan repayment periods, ranging from two to 10 years
- The option to reduce monthly repayments by setting a final balance (Residual Value) payment
- Choice of a fixed or variable interest rate
- The option to put down either a lump sum or your current vehicle as a deposit to reduce the amount borrowed
- The potential to claim tax deductions if the car is being used for business purposes
- Lower interest rates, thanks to the loan being secured against the vehicle
- Quotes and approvals available online
What tax and GST can I expect to pay on a car loan?
A car loan is classed as a personal finance product, however, it may still be possible to claim a tax deduction on your payments, depending on how frequently you use your vehicle for business purposes. For more information about claiming vehicle-related tax deductions, please visit the ATO website.
Who should choose a car loan?
A car loan is a good option for someone who uses their vehicle mainly for personal purposes, but who does not have the option of salary packaging a car through a novated lease.
Looking for more information?
We've made it easy for you to find everything you need here.
EXCEPTIONAL, as good as Customer Service gets
Can't Recommend Highly Enough!!
Meet our network partners
As part of the Carsales network, we have an exclusive panel of specialist lenders and industry partners that will protect and treat you right every step of the way.
Ready to get started?
Get an instant quote or apply now online.