What is a Commercial Hire Purchase?
A Commercial Hire Purchase is a commercial finance product where the customer hires the vehicle from the financier for a fixed monthly repayment over a set period of time. Commercial Hire Purchase can also be known as a Corporate Hire Purchase, Hire Purchase or Offer To Hire, and is often abbreviated as CHP or HP.
How does a Commercial Hire Purchase work?
Under a Commercial Hire Purchase arrangement the financier agrees to purchase the car on behalf of the customer, and then hire it back to them over a set period of time. The customer has the use of the vehicle for the term of the contract but is not the owner of the vehicle. At the end of the contract term when the total price of the vehicle (minus any residual) and the interest charges have been paid in full, the customer takes ownership of the car.
- Flexible contract terms ranging from 12 to 60 months (one to five years)
- Residual value (balloon or final instalment) may be placed on contract
- Fixed interest rate and monthly repayments
- A tax deduction is available when the vehicle is used for business purposes
- GST is not charged on the monthly rental or residual payment (but is charged on fees and interest)
- Customers registered for GST may be able to claim the GST in the vehicle price, fees and interest*
* Please refer to your accountant for eligibility.
Common questions about commercial hire purchase
What is a commercial hire purchase and how does it work?
Aimed at customers who will mainly be using their vehicle for business purposes, a commercial hire purchase involves a finance company purchasing a vehicle on your behalf and effectively hiring it back to you for a set, regular fee. Once the final repayment has been made and any final (Residual Value) balance paid off, you will officially own the vehicle.
What are the benefits of a commercial hire purchase?
- Flexible loan repayment periods, ranging from two to five years
- The option to set a final balance (Residual Value) payment of between 0 and 60 per cent of the full loan amount (depending on the type and age of the vehicle) to reduce monthly repayments
- The option to put down a deposit to reduce the amount borrowed
- The potential to claim tax deductions if the car is being used for business purposes
- The potential to claim Input Tax Credits if you are registered for GST
- Lower interest rates, thanks to the loan being secured against the vehicle
A commercial hire purchase taken out with Stratton Finance also has these additional benefits (subject to lender selection):
- No ongoing fees
- Fixed interest rate and monthly repayments for the duration of the loan
- Repayments can be aligned with your or your business' cash flow
- Quotes available online
What tax and GST can I expect to pay on a commercial hire purchase?
If the car is being used for business purposes, you may be able to claim a tax deduction on the loan interest charges, as well as on the depreciation value of the vehicle, up to the Depreciation Limit set by the Australian Tax Office.
GST is charged on the purchase price of the vehicle and, if you’re registered for GST on a cash basis, you should be able to claim this as an Input Tax Credit on your next Business Activity Statement.
You will also pay GST on any term charges or fees.
Who should choose a commercial hire purchase?
Both businesses and individuals can apply for a commercial hire purchase, as long as the car is being used predominantly for business purposes.
A commercial hire purchase is a good choice for those who are registered for GST on an accruals or cash accounting basis, as you should be able to claim the GST in the vehicle’s purchase price as an Input Tax Credit on your next Business Activity Statement. You should also be able to claim GST on any interest charged as Input Tax Credits over the lifespan of the loan.
Looking for more information?
We've made it easy for you to find everything you need here.
EXCEPTIONAL, as good as Customer Service gets
Can't Recommend Highly Enough!!
Meet our network partners
As part of the Carsales network, we have an exclusive panel of specialist lenders and industry partners that will protect and treat you right every step of the way.
Ready to get started?
Get an instant quote or apply now online.